How to Obtain Turkish Citizenship and What Are the Procedures?
Summer Home Real Estate will help you with all the procedures needed for obtaining Turkish citizenship by investment.
New Rules: January 2022 updated rules
Foreign buyers now need to send funds to a Turkish bank before buying. This is so that the transaction can be processed in Turkish lira. Foreigners who gain Citizenship by moving funds to Turkey will also need to convert their currency to the lira. This means the days of direct transfers to a seller’s account are now over. You must also obtain the Foreign Exchange Purchase Certificate for it to be submitted alongside all your other documents.
As of September 2018, some of the regulations were changed. The Republic of Turkey now grants Citizenship to foreigners who purchase real estate in Turkey to a value of at least $400,000 instead of the previous $1 million.
We can help you understand this process by answering these frequently asked questions.
How to get Turkish Citizenship by investing?
- Get a Turkish Tax Registration Number: go to any tax office in Turkey with your passport and biometric photos.
- Open a bank account in Turkey: You will need your passport and Tax Number and a utility bill showing your current address in your home country.
- Find a property: The property must have a value of 400,000 USD and can be a single residence or multiple residences.
- Buy the property: The property must be purchased using a bank transfer and can’t be resold for three years.
- Can my family get Turkish Citizenship? Yes. You, your spouse and the children under 18 can get Citizenship.
- How should I calculate the exchange rate in USD? The Tapu Office calculates the value from the Turkish Central Bank selling rate on the application date.
- How long does the process of getting Turkish Citizenship take? The government has opened a special Citizenship office to reduce time; it takes approximately two months.
- I already own a property in Turkey; am I eligible to get Turkish Citizenship? The day you acquired the title deed must be after 19.09.2018.
- Can more than one person own one apartment? Yes, the apartment can be owned by more than one person.
- Can I sell the property after the application for Turkish Citizenship? Yes, you can sell your property three years after your application and keep your Turkish Citizenship.
- Can I buy commercial property with rental income and still apply for Citizenship? Yes, any property you buy is counted (residential and office units, buildings and land)
- Can I pay $400,000 for the property in instalments? No, the investment must be completed in a one-off payment.
- Will I get some assistance with the process of obtaining Turkish Citizenship? Summer Home Real Estate will help you with all documents and guide you through getting your Turkish Citizenship.
- Will my Citizenship automatically be granted when I fulfil the conditions? No, you first need the verification from archive records that you are no threat to the national security of Turkey.
- Can I obtain Turkish Citizenship without coming personally? Yes, Summer Home can help you if you send a power of attorney; we will follow up with all the stages from the beginning until the end for you.
- Which nationalities may apply for a Turkish passport? All nationalities who can buy a property or invest in Turkey may apply for Turkish Citizenship.
- Does Turkish law allow dual or multiple citizenships? Yes, Turkish law allows dual or multiple Citizenship when you become a Turkish citizen. You must check with the consulate of your original nationality; some countries do not let you have dual Citizenship or have some other restrictions.
- Is it mandatory to live in Turkey to obtain Citizenship? No. You do not need to live in Turkey.
- Until the citizenship process is finalised, do I need a residence permit? Yes, you can get a residence permit in Turkey for you and your family members.
- How many people can apply for Citizenship on one Title Deed? Only one person and their closest family member (spouse, children under 18 years) may apply for Citizenship.
- Do I need to learn Turkish to obtain Citizenship? No. However, it is always advisable to try and learn the basics of a language to make integration into Turkey easier for you.
- Do I have to declare my wealth to the Turkish authorities? Turkish tax authorities do not require any information regarding your assets or financial situation.
- Is there a different way to obtain Turkish Citizenship? Yes, if your budget is not enough for applying for Turkish Citizenship by investment, you may try getting a Turquoise Card. It gives its owner the same rights as Turkish citizens, except for the right to vote and mandatory military service. We explain more about the card further below.
- What do I need to be careful about while applying? The Ministry has to ensure that the real estate value is a minimum of $400,000. Property valuation companies verify the correct price in order to prevent fraudulent actions. We, at Summer Home, guarantee that we will give you the right price of the property on your appraisal report.
Types of Citizenship in Turkey
Citizenship by investment: According to the new law from September 2018, foreigners can apply for Turkish citizenship after purchasing a property worth a minimum $400,000. The second option is to deposit at least $500,000 in any Turkish bank. Both of these options need to be valid for 3 years. The other options require fixed investment capital of $500,000 or employ at least 50 Turkish citizens.
Turquoise Card: This system from 2017, allows people who have attributes and skills in technology, economics, arts, sports, culture, also business executives or investors to apply for Turquoise Card. It guarantees almost the same rights as normal Turkish citizenship.
Property and residence permit holders: Property owners and uninterrupted residence permit holders that have stayed legally in Turkey for at least 5 years without interruption at the time of application and must not have left Turkey for longer than 6 months.
Citizenship by marriage: Foreigners married to a Turkish citizen may apply for citizenship after 3 years of marriage. There are a few conditions that must be fulfilled in order to successfully get Turkish citizenship (living together, refraining from behaviour that could damage marital union or not to be threat to national security).
Citizenship by birth: This type is the easiest way of becoming a Turkish citizen. According to law, citizens born to one or both Turkish nationals have the right to get a citizenship. Also, if a mother or father are successful in their Turkish citizenship application, it is extended on their children too.
Required Documents for Application for Turkish Citizenship by Investment:
- application form
- valid passport
- 4 passport-size photos of each member of your family
- birth certificate
- residence permit or valid touristic visa on your passport
- if applicable marriage license, birth certificate of children
- if applicable Turkish ID copy and address of applicant relatives in Turkey
- application tax payment receipt
- appraisal report
- title deed
Benefits of Turkish Citizenship:
By becoming a Turkish citizen, you will have the same rights as any other Turkish people; the right to vote, work and get health and pension benefits.
Your spouse and your children under the age of 18 obtain the citizenship at the same time as you.
You do not need to declare your assets or income that you currently have in other countries.
You can continue living abroad and apply for citizenship as soon as you get the residence permit.
Summer Home will provide you with further information once you will decide to apply for Turkish citizenship.